NURS 390 BUDGETING EXERCISE
You are a manager of a 25 bed med- surgical unit in two months, April 1st you will be moving to the new 32 bed unit in a new building. Below is the current data regarding costs and revenue for the current unit for February.
Ave Census 24 hrs Ave Length of Stay Ave Revenue per
Patient/ day Ave Cost of Medical Supplies per patient/ day
22 3.7 $3, 949 $398.40
Nurse staffing- The staffing below is based on the average patient acuity of 1.8 and average census of 22
7-3 3-11 shift 11-7 shift
1 charge nurse – does not take patients 1 charge nurse – does not take patients 1 charge nurse – takes 2-3 patients and covers desk
5 RN’s 4 RN’ 3 RNs
3 CNA’s 2 CNA’s 2 CNA’s
1 HUC 1 HUC (0.5) leaves at 1915 No HUC
Average Hourly Pay for Employees
RN CAN HUC
$38.75/ hr $15.60/ hr $13.50/ hr
Shift Differential Pay for All Employees
Charge RN Evening Shift Night Shift Weekend Shift
3$/ hr 3$/ hr 5$/ hr 4$/ hr
Your salary is $ 78,400/ yr
Using the data above please answer the following questions and develop a proposed budget for the current month and for the month of April. (Please show your work)
1. Calculate the NCH/PPD for the unit with the current staffing and average patient census.
2. Using census (occupancy %) data from this month; estimate the average census you may anticipate when you move to the new unit.
3. Estimate the number of employees needed to be added to each shift based on previous staffing mix for the month of April. Provide breakdown on number of RN’s CNA’s & HUC’s. Explain how you came to this decision.
4. What is your estimated budget of salaries and wages for this month
5. What is your estimated budget for salaries and wages for month of April
6. What is your estimated monthly budget revenue for the current 25 bed unit
7. What is your estimated the monthly revenue for the month of April
8. What is your estimated the monthly medical expenses for the 25 bed current unit
9. What is your estimated the monthly medical expenses for the month of April
10. Create a budget for the your nursing unit below
Estimated Current Months Budget Account Number and Description Aprils Projected Months Budget
Salaries and Wages
Note: Some portions of the assignment may be easier to accomplish in an EXEL spreadsheet, but is not required.